Bullard, a leading provider of PPE (Personal Protective Equipment), has an immediate opening for an R&D Laboratory Technician. As a member of the Bullard Compliance Engineering Team, the R&D Laboratory Technician will be responsible for the day to day operations of the R&D Laboratory. The position will support engineering design and development activities for new and existing products. This includes developing test methods, equipment, and procedures and performing validation and compliance testing on PPE equipment and associated accessories. This is a hands-on position for a driven, dependable person who enjoys working on life-protecting equipment in an exciting, fast-paced new product development environment.
- Tests developmental electromechanical devices or subsystems according to specification and writes technical reports to summarize results.
- Coordinates prototype builds, distribution, and maintenance of pre-production build samples to internal stakeholders.
- Develops test methodologies, equipment, and procedures for product testing.
- Improves quality management system of laboratory through documenting and implementing new protocols from sample submission to report generation.
- Develops working knowledge of global PPE performance standards and develops test methods, equipment, and procedures to demonstrate compliance to those standards.
- Maintains and installs test equipment and prototyping tools necessary for new product development including responsibility for periodic equipment calibration.
- Executes correlation testing to validate new and existing test equipment with domestic and international laboratories.
- Orders sample parts, assembles, troubleshoots, repairs, and modifies products in development.
- Maintains organization and overall upkeep of the R&D laboratory.
- Implements safety policies and procedures.
- Enforces company safety policies for all laboratory occupants.
- Maintains laboratory documentation repository including, but not limited to, storage, tracking and maintenance of all test procedures, test data, test reports, and calibration certificates.
- Serves as primary point of contact for all laboratory requests.
- Collaborates with product development teams and Quality test laboratory to develop new test capabilities.
- Other duties as required.
Requirements and Qualifications
- High School Diploma (or equivalent) with 3+ years Laboratory Technician experience or a Bachelor’s/Associates degree in a technical field required.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced product development environment
- Detail-oriented and demonstrated organizational skills
- Proficient with Microsoft Office; Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Proficient in reading, interpretation and writing of technical documentation
- Ability to clearly communicate with internal and external customers
- Ability to identify and self-direct on unassigned value-add activities
- Minimal domestic and international travel required (<10%)
- Experience with following test plans, performing tests and validating electromechanical products.
- Experience with prototyping equipment and related tools.
- Experience with handling, soldering and unsoldering electronic components preferred.
- Experience with painting, priming, and sanding preferred.